You will find here more interesting things than you thought...
Radviliskis district is in the North of central Lithuania.
Radviliskis district is one of the six districts of Siauliai County situated on its South-eastern part. The districts of Panevezys, Kelme, Pakruojis, Kedainiai, Siauliai are near Radviliskis.
The geographical position offers good possibilities to reach the mayor cities of the Baltic countries: it is only 180 km to Vilnius, 137 km to Kaunas, 180 km to Klaipeda, 146 km to Ryga from Radviliskis.
The total area of the district is 163.5 thous. ha.
49.2 thous. people live in Radviliskis district.
Radviliskis town is an administrative centre of the district from 1950.
Radviliskis town was mentioned for the first time in the book on state economics by M. Downar-Zapolsky listing the cities taxpayers in 1567. In 1687, Jan Sobiesky, the king of Lithuania and Poland, granted the right of market to it.
Supposedly, the name of Radviliskis city originated from the name of nobleman family Radvilos. This family ruled Radviliskis almost 100 years, from 1546 till 1764.
Radviliskis, settled on everglade, was famous for its' railway and black from locomotives smoke sparrows.
Three symbols of the town – railing, bulrushes and black sparrows – D. Kazokas, the Radviliskis art school teacher, integrated in sculpture „Accent“ . This sculpture delightes people since 1997.
The rising and light-emitting horse, representing communication, motion, city development and flourishing, is depicted in the Coat of Arms of Radviliskis. The light is the symbol of civilisation role in the city development.
The artist L. Ramoniene created the Coat of Arms of Radviliskis in 1992.
Radviliskis is an important railway junction in Lithuania and in the Baltic States too.
Radviliskis was devastated many times by military forces, plaque and hunger in XVII–XIX c. There were no citizens in Radviliskis after the plaque in 1708–1710.
It's survival did not begin until the Liepaja–Romnai railway line, crossing the town, was built in 1870 and Radviliskis–Daugpilis was built in 1873. Railwaymen constituted the majority of the residents.
The convenient geographical location conditions good communications with Ryga, Moscow, Minsk, Kaliningrad, Warszawa.
Most of the passenger and freight routes go across Radviliskis.
There are large depots of maintenance of locomotives and railway cars.
This was the railway before the Second World War...
This is the railway today...
The wooden belfry of Radviliskis parish's Blessed Virgin Mary church of the Immaculate Conception is a topical architecture monument. It was set in 1878. The belfry had burned for two times. It was reconstructed in 1984.
There is the design ”Pain's and suffering way”. It sacred to the memory of Lithuanian sufferers, exiles, prisoners of state, whom died in Siberia. This design was unveiled in 1989. V. Vaicekauskas, A. Dovydaitis and E. Gaubas are it's creators.
There were Evangelical-reformer, Protestant, Lutheran, Orthodox chapels, Jewish synagogues and Catholic Church in Radviliskis.
In those days of Lithuanian independency incorporate German-Russian armed forces came over from Latvia to Lithuania. They took the upstate Lithuania and started to regard with disfavor on build up Lithuanian independency. The extant stone windmill of Radviliskis put in remembrance violent and triumphant battles in 1919.
There is a war memorial to the first Lithuanian volunteers whom died in the battles with incorporate German-Russian soldiers in the Aboriginal Burial-ground of town.
In 1999, Victory goddess Nike's sculpture was unveiled to commemorate octogenarian of conquest against the united German-Russian soldiers army in the center of Radviliskis. It was created by sculptor P. Mazuras.
The bronze sculpture symbolized an idea of nation's freedom and victory. The sword in it's hands typifies thanks and respect to those people who were fighting for independence of Lithuania.
Nowadays the key events of town and district are staged by this sculpture.
Today Radviliskis is actively cooperating with foreign countries. The Municipality expands international cooperation in the fields of municipal affairs, health care , social security, ecology, monument preservation, tourism, culture and education.
There are 29 educational institutions in Radviliskis district: four gymnasiums (Baisogala, Vaizgantas, Lizdeika, Seduva), three high schools (Grinkiškis Jonas Poderys, Sidabravas, Šiaulėnai Marcelinas Siksnys), ten basic schools, one youth school, three schools-kindergardens, four kondergardens, two univesrsal centers, Arts and Music shlools. Representatives of district's secondary schools develop their leadership skills at School of Democracy and Social Practice “Ateitis”.
Lovers of star ships models, wrestlers and chess masters make the city famous.
There is the one Lithuanian Rehabilitation Vocational Training center in Radviliskis. Disabled youngster can get various trades therein. The Center positively cooperate with foreign partners, changes places with delegations of schoolchildren, pursues the international projects.
The educational system is well developed in our district: disabled child is training from childhood without breaks. Disabled youngster from sixteen years attend Day's busyness center, whereat they get work, communication and self-help skills.
Radviliskis is known for its soft beverages, timber processing, furniture and machinery production industries, sewed and knitted men's and ladies' wear. The district is famous for extracting peat too.
Agriculture is developed in Radviliskis District because of the high fecundity of soil. The main agriculture branches are cattle, pigs, sheep breeding, cereal, sugar beets, meat and milk production.
Production rates of meat, milk, grain, and sugar beets are one of the highest in Lithuania. High quality of land conditions leads to plant growing and cattle breeding, the appearance of meet processing enterprises.
There are untraditional branches of agriculture and aviculture – farmers grow currents, strawberries, breed turkeys.
The Wooden Sculptures' alley in Radviliskis town park is the result of carvers form Radviliskis district meeting in 2002. There are 12 wooden sculptures in the park.
There are many places of interest in Radviliskis district. The foremost places are Wooden Sculptures' Alley in Radvili skis Town Park, Raudondvaris, Baisogala Manor, Seduva, Daugyvene Cultural History Museum and Preserve.
There are the Gothic manor palace of baron Teodor as v on Rop as on the bank of Daugyvene river in Raudondvaris. The manor was built in the beginning of the 19th c. There is big park near the palace.
Windmill and distillery operated in this manor in 1859 . There was the gallery of 19th c. painters' works.
Seduva Higher Agriculture School was established in Raudondvaris manor.
You can visit the stud and Siauliai sport aviation base in Raudondvaris.
Two places of interest in Seduva – the Church of St. Cross Discovery and Windmill.
The Church was built in the middle of 17th c. You can find elements of baroque and renaissance architecture styles in the interior and exterior of the church.
The Windmill was built in the beginning of the 20th c. There is a popular café in the Windmill now.
The palace of Baisogala Manor is one of the most famous architectural monuments in Lithuania . It's magnitude and ornamentation has been amazing the visitors for 130 years. This manor was built in the 18–19th c. Family of Komaras lived there. The palace is the monument of classicism and romanticism styles of architecture.
Nineteen elements of the palace survived up to now. The interesting ones are the central palace, horseflesh and coach-house, kitchen, warehouse, windmill. The manor park is one of the most beautiful parks in Lithuania. Various trees decorate the avenues and little park paths. There are two ponds on both sides of the main avenue. You can often see the swans swimming in these ponds.
The Lithuanian Institute of Animal Science was established in 1952 in Baisogala Manor. Various conferences, poetry festivals, concerts and exhibitions of paintings take place in the Manor too.
The pride of Radviliskis district – Daugyvene Cultural History Museum and Preserve
Museum was established in 1991.
The unique complex of historical and cultural monuments on the banks of the Daugyvene River together with the natural environment forms a historical landscape of great value.
Kleboniskiai Rural Life Section
The museum of rural life is being created in a former village site. Buildings are typical of the 19th century, including farmhouses, barns, granaries, bathhouse, windmill and etc.
The old trees in the site and thatched roofs of the buildings give the museum a certain mystery, while its residents bring the visitors back to reality.
The Historical Section of Burbiskis Manor
This section is set up in an old Bazenskiai family manor, mentioned in historical sources in the 17 th century.
This manor is famous for it's park with impressive ponds and islands.
There are many sculptures made by sculptor Kazimieras Ulianskas in the park.
Many festivals are held in Burbiskis manor.
The Ethnographical Department in Seduva
This part of the museum is based in the house, built in 1884, in which was a tannery at the end of the 19th century.
Archaeological findings, folk art items, articles reflecting the history and the ethnography of Seduva and Lithuania are exhibited there.
There are unique documents, books, newspapers and other relics reflecting Lithuanians fights for their independence.
Raginenai Archaeological Section
The arch a eological findings of Raginenai were labelled the “Raginenai Culture” at the end of the 19 th century.
An ancient mounds and settlements, tumuli, burial places, sacred stones and mythological places have been preserved there.
You can climb the Hill of Witches there.
There is a group of burial mounds dating back to 200-300 AD near the Daugyvene River valley.
There are 93 burial mounds some of which are two metres high in the pine forest.
We invite you to visit Radviliskis district again...